“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”

Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Monday Musings! #23—One Hit Wonder, Volume II


Well it looks like I missed Monday again this week. I am not sure why I did not do this post yesterday except that somehow time just got away from me. If this keeps happening I may have to change the title of this post to Tuesday Thoughts!

Today’s one hit wonder is someone who, although she only wrote and published one novel she had many poems published. Sylvia Plath, author of The Bell Jar, was a well-known poet by the time this novel came out. This semi-autobiographical tale was originally published under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas.

I took the opportunity to read a couple of Plath’s poems, “Daddy” and “Morning Song”. I found “Daddy” to be very disturbing. Sylvia obviously did not have great feelings or a great relationship with her father who passed away when she was very young. After reading this poem I did not find it so surprising that the reason Plath did not write any more novels was due the fact that she committed suicide shortly after the publication of The Bell Jar. The second poem, “Morning Song” was tamer and less disturbing than the first one.

I do have The Bell Jar on my list of books that I want to read but after reading “Daddy” I am no longer sure if I have the were-with-all to get through her writing. For some reason; however, I have a strange desire to read one of her books of poetry, perhaps, Ariel.


Have you read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath? If you have, what are your thoughts about this book?

1 comment:

  1. I've not read any of her works and poetry is very difficult for me to understand so I tend to not even try. Sounds like a very troubled woman.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete

While your comments are appreciated, I must ask that you do not nominate me for any awards. Happy reading and have an awesome day!