“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”

Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday Musings #3: Library Memories


I read a post the other day; the post was at Anglers Rest and dealt with memories of borrowing books from a library. This post brought back memories about borrowing books from a bus that would stop just down the hill from where we lived.
The library in Calgary was downtown and quite far from where we lived and so the city decided that there were enough schools in the area to warrant sending a mobile library (The Book Mobile) around Calgary so that elementary school children and younger ones could still borrow books to read.
Back then there was an envelope at the back of the book that held two cards with the name of the book and on which the date due back was stamped. The mobile library also had a book where all the people who loaned books had their names, addresses and phone numbers and the books that they borrowed entered. This data entry book was taken back to the big library downtown, sorry but I do not know the name of that library because I had not ever been to it. Come to think of it I have still never been to it.
This was how the books that were borrowed from The Book Mobile were kept track of. No computers to enter anything into. Ahhhhh, the good old days! It is funny how I can still see myself walking onto that bus.

2 comments:

  1. "Back then there was an envelope at the back of the book that held two cards with the name of the book and on which the date due back was stamped." I remember those days. Got to say I like the new automated system, I always was a little embarrassed for the librarians to see what I was reading all the time! Great post, reminds me of older days as well! Thanks for stopping by my blog discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now your newest follower. Follow back please. http://ureadmorebooks.blogspot.com
    I hope you will like my page on facebook too.
    https://www.facebook.com/uReadMoreBooks

    Thanks so much! ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete

While your comments are appreciated, I must ask that you do not nominate me for any awards. Happy reading and have an awesome day!