“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”

Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Reading On A Budget!


Second Glance Book Reviews Presents:  is a blog where I find used books and read and review them. I know that new books can become expensive to purchase and if you are on a budget and like to read then there are ways you can obtain books in a cost effective manner.

Here is one way that I do it; I borrow books from the library. There is a minimal yearly fee that you need to pay in order to do this but then you can read as many books as you want. Just remember to return them.

I can go online to order books from Mary C Moore Public Library website. This is the library that is in Lacombe. Once I have ordered a book online I wait for it to be shipped to the library in Lacombe. If the book I have requested is in the Mary C. Moore Public Library then the wait time is not that long but sometimes the ordered book is coming from a different library and then the wait can be awhile. When I do this I make sure I have some books on hand to read until my stack from the library arrives.

Today I took some time to order some books online from the library. There are many books on my Shelfari list that I have marked as ‘want to read’ so I ordered three of them from the library today. Those books are:
  1. Are You There Alone?:  the unspeakable crimes of Andrea Yates by Suzanne O’Malley
  2. Away by Jane Urquhart
  3.  Brain on Fire:  my month of madness by Susannah Cahalan


This list contains two books of differing genres from the mysteries and crime novels that I usually read but then sometimes a change is a good thing. Reading on a budget may mean that you are reading a used book but then if you are an avid reader like me then it does not matter if the book I am reading is brand new or not (I do like to read a new book from time to time though.

Happy reading on a budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

While your comments are appreciated, I must ask that you do not nominate me for any awards. Happy reading and have an awesome day!